Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Life is the greatest Gift of all!

It seemed middle of the night. The hallway was long, really long, a hospital hallway. The IV lines were connected. The entire bed was moving down the hallway. I was being pushed but I could not see anyone! Where was Ravi (my hubby) and my Sri (son)!

What was happening? I felt no pain at all? Was I dreaming? I tried to move my fingers and I could, so I was probably not dreaming. This was even more confusing, the bed was moving down the dimly lit hospital hallway. All I could see in the far end was a wall. Where was I going? The immediate thought that stuck me– Am I dead? I felt no pain at all!!!!.......................................... I had read somewhere that after death we travel in the same state which we are when we take our last breath and do not experience pain? Not sure if this is true or not, for no one knows!

I was confused, let me admit very scared and not sure of what was happening. All this happened in less than 2 to 3 minutes. I had to pull in a lot of courage to call out ‘doctor’ because I remember I was in the casualty ward of the hospital. Immediately, to my greatest relief someone answered ‘Yes’ from behind. I tried to turn around and the ‘nurse’ (not Lord Yama as I was imagining) said ‘Relax, we are taking you to the scanning room. You were fast asleep and the doctor suggested we move you along with the cot so as not to disturb you’!

The reason I was in the hospital; I was taken by surprise when I developed an unbearable pain in the back, discomfort, nausea. Our physician assumed it could be as simple as ‘Gastric’ and tried to treat. In spite of the 7-8 pain killing injections my pain did not subside. The doctors doubted it could be a renal stone and hence advised scanning. To cut this short, it was later diagnosed as colic and luckily for me it subsided without any medication or surgery (had it been worst!).

This incident was an eye opener in many ways. Firstly the blessing of ‘Life’ - to be alive! We hardly spend few minutes realizing how grateful, blessed we are to be with our dear and near ones. Nothing else matters more than that. When one becomes helpless, situations seem helpless, doctors seem helpless, family feels helpless, when all the options/doors seem closed, it is confusing and the worst just not ready to ‘ACCEPT’ the reality! That is scary! We all know that this ‘Life’ will come to an end one day, but it should never come ‘UNTIMELY’. We probably are here with a purpose. People who have been through this would agree about the Random thoughts or madness one faces at such situations! WHY ME? What harm did I do to anyone????? I have seen/heard about people in these situations but in reality had never faced something so close! I admit, I too questioned, WHY ME GOD? PLEASE HELP ME LORD! ……....and he did!

I consider myself and others who are out of such situations as very lucky and BLESSED! ‘LIFE’ is the biggest gift in this LIFE…time…..! A bonus when you have a loving family and great friends who walk with you! Having a decent and peaceful job, just got us luckier!!!! Never stop counting your blessings. Money, promotions, owning a house, car can never be compared to the gift of ‘LIFE’!!!!! It is easier said than done! Yeah, I am a human being, need money; want to own a house, not sure about promotions though (hmmm). But the realization that these material needs are not everything is of utmost important and should not be the sole goals or purpose in Life. A little bit of self realization, charity, honesty, empathy will make us more peaceful and a good human being………………… Life is the greatest Gift of all!

1 comment: