Thursday, August 19, 2010

Final Call

Varanasi. Also popularly known as Banaras (by old timers) and Kashi by many. I had always wanted to visit this city, the temples/mythological places that one would have read or heard. I have been fortunate enough to visit this place twice and look forward to visit again and again.

It is definitely one of the oldest cities in India as claimed! Personally, I find there is something holy about everything in that city that makes one want to go back. Something very spiritual for those who can associate with! I don’t know, but if you happen to get a chance, go check it out. If you come disappointed please do not blame me, but if you love the place as much as I do, then lets meet over a cup of coffee to cherish the experience!

There are a number of shrines. The ghats on the banks of the river ganges is a must visit. I am not penning a travelogue on Varanasi here. The most amusing and very factual experience at this place is that Life and death coexist very naturally here. While you are immersed in the beauty of the ganges flowing in all her gaiety you jump-up to the cries of ‘Ram Nam Satya Hai’ that is when you notice people carrying dead bodies to be cremated on the banks. It is considered that one attains mukthi/salvation/eternal bliss when they die at Kashi. This discussion can go on and on and become an interesting topic by itself.

What I experienced in Kashi other than the spiritual part (which I do not want to get into detail) is the most heart rendering scenes that I witnessed. All along the ghats and especially at the ‘Harishchandra and Manikarnika ghat’ I noticed very old people. They were lazily sitting in the sun, some were ill and others looked lost. The very reason for their existence was that they were breathing! There was nothing that one could read from their looks! They probably never spoke, never moved around – did they have the strength to? I was curious and checked with my guide as to who those people were and was taken aback at his reply “they are waiting to die”!!!!!!!

What? Waiting to die? I later learnt that these people are mostly abandoned in their old age due to their sickness, poverty and some who have made their way to Kashi to attain eternal bliss! I had never come across a set of very old people with an eagerness to die!!!!! What happened to their lives? How had they lived? Why did their children abandon them? The very thought was exhausting as I could not find an answer! It is unbelievable and painful to witness this sight! What a pity? They are poor, do not have the money to regain strenght. There are few local groups who provide food on some days to these sick and old people, visitors drop notes in their hands, but they do not seem beggers at all! They can hardly move! A look at some of them and you immediately pray that the person should not suffer any more, others are tired, may be with some food and care they would live longer, they don’t want to…… My silent prayer to the Lord…......May the almighty forgive all their sins……... they seem to be exhausted and all that they are waiting for is that Final call!

No comments:

Post a Comment